Unihedron Sky Quality Meter
- Manufacturer: Unihedron
- MPN: SQM
- SKU: SQM
Finally, an affordable meter for measuring sky brightness for astronomers! The "Sky Quality Meter" measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes per square arcsecond. Unprecedented sensitivity in a handheld meter! Designed by Dr. Doug Welch and Anthony Tekatch.
NOTE: It is desirable to have a narrow field of view when determining the sky brightness in crowded areas where street lamps, buildings, trees, etc. are present. A more accurate view of a small area of the sky can be found with a narrow FOV. The main difference the SQM and SQM-L is the field of view. The SQM-L (with lens) is an improvement over the SQM. The lens collects more light from a smaller cone so that the meter is not affected from lights or shading on the horizon. The SQM-L is better suited for astronomy and dark sky enthusiasts. It has a lens to narrow the field of view so that street lights and buildings or trees do not affect the reading very much.
- Find out how good the night or site REALLY is.
- Compare the sky brightness at different sites quantitatively.
- Document the evolution of light pollution in your area.
- Set planetarium dome illumination to mimic the skies people are likely to experience elsewhere in the city.
- Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and year-to-year.
- Determine which nights show the greatest promise for finding the 'faintest fuzzies'!
- Calibrate the effect of sky brightness on qualitative measures such as the Bortle Scale.
- Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and month-to-month sunspot activity.
- Help provide local ground truth for future sky brightness prediction with the Clear Sky Clock.
- CCD users can make a correlation between the SQM reading and when the background reaches some ADC level.
- Audible signal while measurement is in progress. Sky brightness displayed in visual magnitudes per square arcsecond.
- Infrared blocking filter restricts measurement to visual bandpass.
- Temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as model number and serial number can be displayed with different button press sequence.
- Precision readings at even the darkest sites.
- Power-saving features designed in for maximum battery life.
- Reverse battery protection.
- Operates from 9V battery (included).
- Size 3.8 x 2.4 x 1 in.
- Maximum light sampling time: 8 0 seconds.
- Specifications are subject to change without notice.