STF-8050M, STF-8050C and STF-8050SC
The STF-8050 camera comes in monochrome (STF-8050M) and two color models. The color models are available with either the standard Bayer Color FIlter Pattern (STF-8050C) or the higher sensitivity TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern (STF-8050SC). The KAI-08050 Image Sensor is an 8-megapixel CCD in a 4/3" (22 mm diagonal) optical format. Based on the TRUESENSE 5.5 micron Interline Transfer CCD Platform, the sensor features broad dynamic range, excellent imaging performance, and a flexible readout architecture. The TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern provides a 2x improvement in light sensitivity compared to a standard color Bayer part.
KAI-08050 CCD Key Features:
- Available in Monochrome, Bayer Color Pattern or TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern
- Progressive scan readout
- Flexible readout architecture
- High frame rate
- High sensitivity
- Low noise architecture
- Excellent smear performance
- Package pin reserved for device identification
Description of the TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern.
The TRUESENSE Color Filter Pattern represents a new paradigm for obtaining full-color images from a single image sensor. By adding panchromatic (or "clear") pixels to the standard red, green, and blue pixels traditionally used for color capture, image sensors can realize a significant increase in light sensitivity – between two and four times compared to standard designs – while retaining overall image quality and color fidelity. Image sensors using this design allow end users to capture better pictures and video under low-light conditions.
In addition to the new color technology, the STF-8050 has been optimized for fast full frame download and maximum cooling in an STF sized package. A high resolution 8.3 megapixel 16-bit frame will download in about 1/2 second using the dual channel readout mode. Even at this rapid download rate, the read noise remains exceptionally low, about 9e-. The tables below show download times and frame rates for the STF-8050 camera measured using our high speed drivers:
|STF-8050 Download time in seconds for single frame
|STF-8050 Frames per second saved to disk using high speed drivers
The astronomy customer will notice from the specifications that the STF-8050 is very similar to the STF-8300M in size and performance with the exception of the shutter and download rate. The STF-8050 was developed primarily for the OEM market, particularly for microscopy applications where short exposures and high frame rates made possible by an electronic shutter are more desireable than having a mechanical shutter for automatic dark frames. Because of this, the STF-8050 cooling design is very robust and the camera is capable of a cooling delta greater than -50 degrees C. This means that the camera at room temperature can cool enough to reduce the dark current to 1/100th of an electron per pixel per second, or less.
So in comparing the STF-8050 with our 8300 models, the STF-8050 is faster and can take shorter exposures (0.001 sec.) whereas the STF-8300 or STT-8300 have higher QE, mechanical shutters and are more suitable for long exposures typical of deep space imaging. For these same reasons however the STF-8050 is an excellent choice for solar/lunar/planetary imaging and deep space with a filter wheel using one blocked slot for taking dark frames if desired.
The combination of a large 8.1 megapixel CCD, high resolution 5.5 micron pixels, low noise 16-bit images and fast exposure times make the STF-8050 camera ideal for solar and lunar imaging. The image below is a portion of a single frame of the entire solar disk taken with the STF-8050M camera using a Lunt 80mm Solar Scope.
- Imaging CCD: KAI-08050
- Imaging/Pixel Array: 3320 x 2496
- CCD Size: 18.3 x 13.7 mm
- Total Pixels: 8.1 Million
- Pixel Size: 5.5 x 5.5 microns
- Full Well Capacity: 20,000e-
- Dark Current e/p/s at 0 C < 0.02e-/pixel/sec @ -15C
- Antiblooming: Yes
- Peak QE: 46%
- Shutter: Electronic
- Exposure: 0.001 to 3600 sec.
- Correlated Double Sampling: Yes
- A/D Converter: 16 bits
- A/D Gain: 0.31e-/ADU
- Read Noise: 9e-
- Binning Modes: 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 9x9, 1xn
- Pixel Digitization Rate: 10MHz / 20MHz
- Full Frame Download: 0.5 sec
- Cooling Delta: Greater than -50C with air only
- Temperature Regulation: +/- 0.1 deg. C
- Power: 12V, 3.8A
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0
- Computer Compatibility: Windows, Mac
- Dimensions: 5 x 4 x 3 (+ 1 inch for fan)
- Mounting: T-thread
- Weight: 2.1 lbs (0.96 kg)
- Backfocus: 0.69 inches
- Filter Wheel Option: FW5-8300 or FW8-8300
- Self-Guiding Filter Wheel: Uses ST-i with OAG-8300
- Filter Size: 36mm
- Adaptive Optics Option: n/a
- Remote Guide Head: Uses ST-i with OAG-8300
- Lens Adapter: C-mount, Nikon, Canon EOS
- OAG Option: OAG-8300